Saturday, April 7

*crowns of asparagus

Asparagus is one of those veggies that we didn't eat a lot of while growing up in the South during my childhood years. I however, love asparagus and have always wanted to grow it in our garden. Last year while shopping at Lowes Garden Center I found some asparagus crowns sitting there waiting on me! The first year of having them in our garden we didn't harvest to many spears but after a year of wintering over, we have harvested tons!! I am over the top thrilled. I want to encourage you, if you have thought about growing asparagus... DO IT! They are really one of the easiest plants to care for and harvest. Every day I have to snap off some delicious asparagus stalks to add to a salad, or steam for a side dish with our dinner.



The asparagus plants will grow and produce for about 8 years and then you have to replant your asparagus bed. Such a great investment. I paid under $7 for 6 or 8 asparagus crowns last spring and they have already paid for themselves several times over. Just think of the investment return I still have to come over the next 5 to 7 years.

1 comment:

  1. I love asparagus. It's a great idea to grow it if you can. There is a town (West Brookfield) near here that has an Asparagus Festival every year but I always have a conflict when it happens. Some day I will go.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!