Tuesday, April 3

*time with momma

We have been quite busy with the beautiful spring days ushering in sunshine, warmer temps and a breeze on most days. We have found ourselves with a long list of ongoing task here at Erilyn. There is never a shortage of things that need to be done, which I think, keep one young vibrant and healthy. It sort of reminds me of what my dear mother said while she was here during this past stay of hers, she said she hardly sits because the act of getting up itself can sometimes be a chore.

While momma was here we worked many hours in the gardens, and she more so in the yards as well. We have many large old oaks on our property that are simply gorgeous, but you know what that means - leaves come and go with the changing of seasons. I am not sure if my mother loves to rake or if she hates leaves.. still trying to figure that one out. Anyway, she spent a number of hours raking while she was here as well and she left the yards looking tidy. She and I also got all of the seeds but a few in the ground while she was here. Just before she left the corn had starting popping through the rich soil!

We did find some time for baking as well as candy making. My mother makes some of the best peanut brittle you will ever taste. So good in fact, that I told my husband to take the rest of the container to work with him and eat it there. I had no self control when it comes to her peanut brittle. She did leave me with a recipe, but like most amazing cooks, she herself didn't measure everything but cooked by her eye.





Here is momma's recipe:
Mary's Famous Peanut Brittle
1 pint of raw peanuts
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup Karo Syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 square inch of paraffin wax shaved
1 oiled (spray or butter) 9 X 13 pan

In a heavy sauce pan mix peanuts, sugar, Karo syrup into pot, and stir.  As the mixture starts to warm up you will add the shaved or chipped wax. Continue to stir. You will stir the mixture until it starts to bubble. Once it starts to bubble, stir some more. It is important to watch the color of the candy at this point, you want it to come to a slight caramel color, stir more repeatedly.  The peanuts will start to parch as well, so you may hear some cracking or light popping. Once the candy starts to turn a caramel color take it immediately off the burner, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and stir about 5 turns.  Now you are ready to pour into the well greased or buttered pan.  Leave on counter until cool, then turn it over and pop the candy out. If it cools all the way, it will be very brittle (hence the name) and you will just have to break it apart. If you would like to cut uniform pieces, let it cool slightly and then carefully turn it onto a cutting board and you can cut through the candy to make uniform blocks of the candy. Enjoy!

I am sure the candy needs to reach a certain temperature, but momma never uses a candy thermometer so I can't help you there! This recipe is very quick and really quite simple. She made two batches in no time at all! In order to save myself, I had to put one of the batches in the mail to a dear friend of mine. 

3 comments:

  1. Ah, peanut brittle. My Dad's favorite. Will have to try it.
    So nice to spend time with your Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynnie. I love peanut brittle and Mama's recipes are ALWAYS the best. I know you've been really busy, but I wanted to pop in and say HI! I am so glad I did. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mailing us some of that delectable peanut brittle! Ya'll done did good! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!