Sunday, April 25

*after twenty four years (meet Freyja)

Six months or so ago and much to my amazement my dear husband started showing an interest in selecting a large dog for our family.  I mean, is he crazy? We are a cat family. A large cat family.  We have never in the twenty four years of marriage had a dog in our family.  Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and grew up with one by my side most of the time.  Eric comes from a long line of cat lovers and he has always had an aversion to having a canine as a pet.   Can I just say -He is in love and it was ALL his doing.

Through our search for a canine that would be the right breed for our family, Eric looked from German Shepherds, Kangals, Mastiffs to Great Danes.  We have a good friend who is a quality breeder of German Shepherds and had hoped that she would be breeding soon. She has, however, decided to take a break this season.  If she decides to breed in the fall, her pups will be available in October. You might think this would have been a better timing choice for us. I might tend to think it would have been a better timing choice too. But, here we are -new owners of a beautiful blue, pure bred, Great Dane.

She had a great first night. She is being crate trained from the start.  The night started with a bit of crying but only lasted a few minutes before she laid down to sleep.  The night was restful, but she put a new spin on "weekend sleep in".  We were up at six am going potty.  So the story begins...

 This is a picture of her when we first got home with her.  She is only seven weeks old.

9 comments:

  1. She is beautiful! And I like that she is the same color as the cats. I'm not sure the cat in the photo is liking her though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable! Have you guys decided on her name yet? ....is that Timmy in the pic? Anyway that cat is NOT happy with it's new 'blue' sister! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Lynnie! It will be fun to watch her grow up in our presence. How cool that the dog and cat are the same color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, Sarah and Dianna - thanks! She is a blue dane.. so of course we love that! The cats are revolting on a lesser level today (going into the first full day of her being here), but still keeping their distance! LOL Sarah you were right.. it is Timon and he was not happy. We know that cats can live in harmony with dogs.. we are just waiting to see which ones choose this.

    I promise not to over run my blog with "doggie" stories and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgoeus little girl she is! Enjoy your puppy and her antics. Our little girl was a year old this month (she is a corgi) and the first year has been fun.

    Blessings!
    Gsil

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is SO cute!!! I am looking forward to seeing how big she is gonna get. And I especially love the last picture with your cat's reaction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. A GREAT DANE as a first canine pet. When Eric decides something he GOES BIG! LOL Congrats. She's AWEFULLY gorgeous! Have you heard of the Dog Whisperer? Might want to check him out. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Cheryl. Yes, her breed was chosen for their size. Check out the Kangels.. glad we didn't seriously look at those! In five days she has learned to sit and stay, lay down when commanded and successfully crate trained! WOOT. When I was talking to Robby a few days ago, he pointed me to watch the Dog Whisperer for training tips. We are going to watch it, but we are also using the Volhard site and books as our guide for her training.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gail thanks! A corgi.. oh my gosh they are darling! I am sure you have really enjoyed her! Happy Birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!