Saturday, May 1

*it is appointed..

It is appointed for men to die once...(Hebrews 9:27) As the grass that grows up and then withers, and the flowers of the fields that bloom for a few days and just as quickly fade, so do we flourish for a time before we wither and die (Isaiah 40:6-8).

While a most recent tragic event was not a surprise to God, it was to us. Our neighbors' son, whom we have watched grow up, was tragically killed a week ago today along with one of his good friends. These young men were a week away from their senior prom and two weeks away from their high school graduation. Yes, they were only eighteen years young.   Both young men were active in the marching band at their school and active in sports. One was set to continue his soccer at UNC in Greensboro in the fall of this year.

Many days I would sit at my sewing machine in the front of part of our house with a view of their home, with windows closed tightly still hearing the sound of music resounding from across the street. On some days I was annoyed by it, and some days I really enjoyed it.  What I mostly enjoyed about his music sessions with his friends is the fact that his parents loved him enough to let him be loud, hold practice in their double car garage because  it was LOUD with windows closed across the street so I am sure it was loud inside their house as well.

I am not sure why I am sharing this with you all, but I am.  It is difficult to push this from my thoughts daily.  I am so overwhelmed with grief for Thadius' family that I am often brought to tears. I know that I cannot bear this burden, I cannot try and figure it out because God's way and purposes are so far beyond what I can think or comprehend.  He is good like that.  I have to be real and be honest and say that I have asked God why these things happen? Why does two eighteen year old boys with bright futures have to be so distracted that they run a stop sign?   Why these boys?  I know I wont understand, but I still ask why.

We attended the double funeral service for these young men on Thursday evening which was held in the stadium of their school.  The celebration of their lives was both beautiful and sad. I tried desperately to hold back my emotions as I watched my dear neighbors walk in with their daughter and immediate family members to be seated.   Several gave accounts of sweet memories with these young men, comforting words were spoken and a call was given to those who needed the Comforter.  When the call was given young and old alike stood to their feet all around the stadium, there must have been over one hundred who believed on Christ this day.  While I feel surely God did not allow their deaths simply to save these who stood on this day, it was a sweet redemption.

Please keep John and Penny (and Brandy) in your constant prayers during this difficult time. While the thought of the grief that they are dealing with overwhelms me, I am reminded to pray for them to know in their very core that He is there and to know in the midst of this difficult time, the waters will not sweep them over. 

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:  So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.   And so it is, Thadius having gone before, will one day see his parents again in Eternity.

6 comments:

  1. Lynnie, I'm so sorry for the loss of these precious two young lives...and for the grief with which you and other friends are dealing with. I've put the parents names on my personal prayer list.

    Also, I wanted to say thank you for stopping by yesterday and leaving a comment on my cheesecake recipe...and for following me.

    I pray you will have a good remainder of the weekend. Thank you so much for sharing your heart of hearts with us over the tragic death of these two young lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sad, Lynnie. I am so sorry. Such a tragic loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post left me with many tears and memories as well.
    We lost our son, Joshua, who was only 16 in November 2003. He would be 23 now.

    You are right, there isn't much you can do to help them right now. I'll give you a little list of things that helped me...doesn't mean it will help your friend.

    Listen, listen, listen
    dont be afraid to mention his name,
    and buy her the book 1 minute after you die by Edwin Lutzer. That book was so very encouraging to me. In fact, I might go back and re-read it for myself as I have had a very hard time coping with this loss.

    Don't be afraid that you are going to say something that you shouldn't. Her pain is so deep that nothing will penetrate right now.

    Too many tears, saying goodbye,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, for your loss I too, am sorry. It is the unthinkable, isn't it? I am so grateful for your taking the time to share from your private personal experience and I have done as you recommended and ordered this book for Penny and John. May the Lord reveal a new level of comfort to you on this day in the midst of your memories, your heartache and loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynnette, I am so sorry for the tragic news...we are all sad here. Ryan remembers meeting your young neighbor. May the Lord of all comfort bring peace to you and their precious families. Praying

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jen! Yes I am sure Ryan remembers him even though he was a couple of years older than he and Henry. Your prayers are really appreciated! I did get your last email.. I will catch up..soon. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!