Tuesday, August 9

*our dairy queens are doing great!

 Nefertiti, also know as Neffie is so loving and affectionate.  She has this way of demanding  your attention with  face.  She is notorious for lifting her long Roman nose up to sniff your breath or sniff your face. Nubians are know as being very social and vocal goats.


This is Cleopatra, also known as Cleo and I can never get any good pictures of her because she is my constant companion.  Stuck to me like glue. My side kick. A leach.  Upon picking her up in Alabama on that first day her personality was obvious and we knew that she was going to be trusting right away.  She took to me without reservation, which I , of course loved.  She is a talker, we will be walking towards the barn at feeding time and call out to them with a "maaa" sound and Cleo will call back, "maaa". It is quite entertaining. 

Bodica, also known as Bodie has grown so much since we first brought her to our humble little farm.  Both Neffie and Bodie were a bit cautious in letting any of us care for them in any way, except feeding of course.  Bodie is just as sweet as the other two dairy queens, but she does not like to put up with getting her hoofs trimmed.  She constantly nips me while I am trimming her. I am constantly correcting her with a firm "no" and a light tap on her head or side.  In the mean time, Cleo is right up in the middle trying to get my attention! 

 We left this dump wagon that attaches to our lawn mower in the barnyard one day and now it has become a permanent ornament as the goats love to hop in and out of it throughout the day as well as take naps in it.  I sometimes lay branches in it as well and they munch them up straight away!


Can't you just see her sweetness? 

Again, I was trying to get some sweet pictures of Cleo, but she was up in my grill. I tried to push her back just a bit so I could get a good view of her in my lens..but to no avail she kept forcing her way back to me.  So, I give you, Cleo (in this fashion). 





Nubian Goats are great for milking purposes (and are a dual purpose goat -meat), and great for the small homesteader or hobby farmer.  You need much less land than you would need if you were raising a cow.  The goats are MUCH easier to handle and manage than a cow - just think of the size comparison!  Your feed to production ratio is much better with a goat.  You are thinking, EW, goat milk!  If  you have ever drank goats milk from the grocer, you are not tasting true goat milk.  If you are interested in the WHY of our choice for Nubian (dairy) Goats as our sustainable source for milk instead of a dairy cow, check this out.

More and more families are starting to get back to the basics or you at least can read some hype on this subject. The decisions our family has made towards sustainability has nothing to do with a whim decision or a sudden concern for our future food source although it is a concern. My dear husband is a survivalist at heart. Much of this comes from his upbringing, who he is and some from his mode of operation in the military.  These things that you see our family taking part in at the present have always been at bay in his mind, the Lord has brought some of it to fruition and some are still on the planning board.  We are enjoying the land, working it (well most of the time), what it brings forth and the ability to share with others as well as store some for a later date.

I was just speaking with a lady last week who was inviting me to join in a co-op that will operate on the barter system.  I encourage you to start one in your area!  This is how they are going to work the barter co-op here: Each person will plant one crop in excess. It will be harvested by that person and the excess will be brought to the meeting place along with every one's excess crop harvest. Each member of the co-op will take what they desire with no money exchanged.  This is such an easy thing to do even with a small suburban lot. There are crops that can be planted year round providing you with many fresh veggies void any herbicides or pesticides for your family dinner table!  Start taking some of the food provision for your family into your own hands, you can do it!


I shared this today at Homestead Revival's Barn Hop! Come check it out!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOT sure what happened to my post---weird....I have done that type co-op before. Worked great. But then some got tired of it, sad. LOVE your goats so want 2. Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some precious little goats. I can;t wait to meet them & enjoy some goat milk. I have had store bought milk and it does taste gamey to me, so I look forward to seeing what it is like. The girls had goat milk fudge at a local fair not too long ago and they loved it. Greta pics. Love U. Oh yeah I like the new blog page. Love the owl:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your girls are sweet! Glad to see everything going along so well on your farm ~ you guys are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They certainly look like sweet spoiled ladies! I love my goats and goat milk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, they are so sweet. The co-op idea sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!