Sunday, August 7

*trash to treasure

One man's trash is another man's (woman's) treasure. Isn't this so true?

I like to be organized. I stink at it, but I try. I like neat compartments for things so my area is functional and neat. I am too cheap to buy all those neat organizational containers etc. I would much rather find an old Singer Sewing Machine drawer at a yard sale for just a few bucks to store my rulers in or to hold my fat quarters in an organized fashion while still adding interest to my sewing studio.

Just a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a deal that I couldn't walk away from due to my lack of restraint! Buttons! I have always thought buttons were the coolest things, maybe due to the fact my grandmother would have buttons in jars in her sewing area. They always fascinated me. So many colors. So many shapes. Sizes. If you are sewing garments (WHICH I DON'T), Lord bless each of you who do, a button (or buttons) can really make a garment come alive.

I was out in the workshop just this last week and a plastic storage container covered in dust and grime, caught my eye.  I had washed and dried all of the buttons I got from the thrift shop before storing them in some mason jars. However, when I saw this storage bin, I got an idea to bring it back to life!


As you can see, it was filthy.  Disgusting. Useless. Nope. Trash left behind from the previous owners was turned into my newest treasure. Thanks previous owners!



I had a can of white spray paint left from a previous project, so I cleaned the container up and sprayed it down! The blah blue was transformed into a crisp clean white.  I ran the little drawers through the dishwasher to aid in the cleaning.  I have sorted all the buttons by color , size , and shape now.  I also have stored some of my sewing needles, and other notions in some of the bottom drawers as well.  Not bad for free! I returned my jars back to the canning room so I can fill them with pickled beets the fall!

This post was shared here: Barn Hop #23 .

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! What a great find! Love the new white look of the outside of it too. Great job!
    Lusi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lusi! I enjoyed the thrill of turning this into something useful! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well how fantastic is that!! Great job! Found you via Funky Junk Interiors. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/voice-studio.html

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!