Wednesday, June 16

*blueberry crumb cake, yum!

Blueberry Crumb Cake is in order! I have recently made some changes (again) in some of my eating choices and exercising habits or lack therein. I have been known to drive to Starbucks several times a week to purchase my beloved Cinnamon Dolce Latte paired with a slice of "low fat" Blueberry Coffee Cake. Since I started exercising on a regular basis I subconsciously choose not to eat things like this. I mean, after all, do I need to consume close to one thousand empty calories for breakfast? Uh, no. Do I still enjoy a coffee from Starbucks from time to time, of course.

In my recent copy of "All You" magazine this recipe for Blueberry Crumb Cake caught my eyes. Eric always liked the Starbucks Blueberry Muffin, so I figured he would really like this as well.


Blueberry Crumb Cake (by AllYou)
Prep Time 15 min
Bake Time 55 min
Serves 12

Topping
1/2 cup of sugar ( I use sucanat 1/3 c would have been plenty)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 Tbsp light tasting Olive Oil
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour


Cake
1 1/4 cups of All Purpose Flour (fresh milled wheat berries - use half hard wheat and 1/2 soft wheat)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp nonfat sour cream (didn't have so I used 2%Greek Yogurt)
3 Tbsp unsalted melted butter at room temp
3/4 cup of sugar (again- I used 1/2 c sucanat)
2 large eggs + 1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (2% Fat)
1 cup  frozen blueberries (I used fresh)

*Make topping. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. use fingertips to blend until mixture resembles large peas. Refrigerate. (oops.. I didn't refrigerate)

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 inch round cake pan with cooking spray ( I used the Pampered Chef Large Deep Dish Baker).

*Make cake: In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Ina separate bowl, beat sour cream, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and egg white. Beat until frothy, about 3 minutes. Blend in vanilla and yogurt until smooth. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in berries. Spread batter evenly in pan. Sprinkle with topping.

*Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.

252 Cal. per serving (if you cut into 12 equal slices)
9 gr. fat
40 gr. carbs (simple carbs if you do NOT use sucanat and freshly milled wheat berries)


One of the things that caught my eye when I turned the page in my magazine is the little blurb.. You save 188 calories and 10g fat (compared with a single serving of Starbucks classic coffee cake). Uh.. hello?  There are a few changes we can make in our favorite recipes to make them a bit lighter but still quite tasty.  These are a few of the suggestions: replace full-fat sour cream with 2% Greek yogurt; cut back on the required butter in a recipe; when a recipe calls for 4 eggs- try using a combination of 3 whole eggs and one white in the recipe etc; cut back on the sugar that is called for.

Happy Baking!

4 comments:

  1. Lynnie...this sounds wonderful! We lived in Seattle for a few years and I bacame totally addicted to Starbucks. I still treat myself a couple times a week but stick to a Grande Bold Pick of the Day. I add a little cream and it still works well for my low carb diet. Getting up at 5:15 to power walk/run 4 miles keeps me away from any of their other goodies, lol.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, we have an unhealthy addiction (LOL) to Starbucks! I totally hear you on the getting up early, we get up at 5:30AM to do the same. I love how being committed to working out helps the poor food choices not be a problem.
    ~abundant blessings to you too! Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know what the special treat is I'm making this weekend! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Lynnie. The picture looks so good!

    Do the frozen blueberries need to be thawed and drained?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Diana it simply states frozen blueberries, so I am guessing maybe dredge them in flour then fold them in frozen. I actually used fresh.. and I made the changes on the recipe above. We have been enjoying a slice of this for breakfast in the mornings. Have a great weekend. (my flash was not out when I took the pic..so it is kind of dark)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts!